Updated: 21st May 2023
What is Personal Information? Personal information includes any information about an identifiable individual. It is not usually information such as the name, title, business address, or telephone number of an employee of an organization.
Your Privacy Rights – All businesses engaged in commercial activities must comply with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”). PIPEDA gives you rights concerning the privacy of your personal information.
Turner Guitars, is responsible for the personal information we collect and hold. To ensure this accountability, we have developed policies and procedures with the objective of protecting personal information, and have trained our lawyers and support staff about our policies and practices.
Why does Turner Guitars need personal information? Turner Guitars collects, uses information in the course of providing services to our clients. Specifically, some of the purposes are:
- to manage our client relationships
- to evaluate client satisfaction through communication with clients and other individuals
- to comply with legal requirements which mandate the release of personal information
- to maintain our document system
- to protect our clients by checking for internal error, theft, etc., as needed or as required
- to distribute direct marketing materials concerning our services, developments in the industry, and other company matters. If you tell us that you do not wish to continue receiving information about our services, or about new developments, we will not send you any further material.
What personal information do we collect? We collect personal information such as your name, address, telephone number, and any information that is necessary and related to the services we are providing you with.
How do we collect your personal information? We collect information only by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way. Wherever possible, we collect your personal information directly from you.
Consent – In most cases, we shall ask you to specifically consent if we collect, use, or disclose your personal information. Normally, we ask for your consent in writing, but in some circumstances, we may accept your oral consent.
Sometimes, your consent may be implied through your conduct with us. Disclosure of your Personal Information – Turner Guitars does not disclose your personal information to any third party to enable them to market their products and services. For example, we do not provide our client mailing lists to others. Under certain circumstances, Turner Guitars will disclose your personal information:
- when we are required or authorized by law to do so, for example if a court issues a subpoena; when you have consented to the disclosure where it is necessary to establish or collect fees
- if the information is already publicly known.
- updating Your Information – Since we use your personal information to provide services to you, it is important that the information be accurate and up-to-date. If during the course of the relationship any of your information changes, please inform us so that we can make any necessary changes to our records.
Is My Personal Information Secure? Turner Guitars takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that your personal information is kept safe from loss, unauthorized access, modification or disclosure. Among the steps taken to protect your information are:
- premises security
- restricted access to files that contain personal information
- deploying technological safeguards like security software and firewalls to prevent hacking or unauthorized computer access
- internal password and security policies.
Access to Your Personal Information – You may ask for access to any personal information we hold about you. Summary information is available on request.
More detailed requests which require archive or other retrieval costs may be subject to our normal professional and disbursement fees.
Correcting Errors – If Turner Guitars holds information about you and you advise us that it is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, Turner Guitars will take reasonable steps to correct it.
Can I be Denied Access to My Personal Information? Your rights to access your personal information are not absolute. We may deny access when:
- denial of access is required or authorized by law
- information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings against you
- granting you access would have an unreasonable impact on other people’s privacy
- protecting our companies rights and property
- the request is frivolous or vexatious.
If we deny your request for access to your personal information, or refuse a request to correct information, we shall explain why. Turner Guitars does not use your Social Insurance Number as a way of identifying or organizing the information we hold about you.
Communicating with Us – You should be aware that e-mail is not a 100% secure medium, and you should be aware of this when contacting us to send personal or confidential information.
Requests for Access – If you have any questions, or wish to access your personal information, please write to our Privacy Contact: